Saturday, July 5, 2008

God Bless America

So I just realized I completely forgot that I was going to talk about my 4th of July.  And so I've just decided to dedicate a separate entry to it.

I had a pretty good 4th.  Went to my grandma's, as tradition requires, and had fun.  I ate way too much, hah.  Because I'm incredibly lazy, I typically only eat one real meal a day and then just kind of eat sporadically when I'm hungry throughout the rest of the day.  So eating filet mignon...and a hot dog...and corn on the cob...and potato salad...and bread...and pink stuff (a stupid name, but absolutely delicious)...and ambrosia salad...and 2 different kinds of pie...and cookies...was just kind of a bad idea.  But I couldn't resist!  And after all the indulgence, we shot off loads of fireworks, as usual.

OH OH OH but we were all angry!  Because the people across the street from my grandma's house were outside doing fireworks too, and they were playing Mexican music really really loud.  And I mean, come on, it's the freaking FOURTH OF JULY...also known as AMERICA'S INDEPENDENCE DAY!  Please do not take advantage of a national holiday as simply an opportunity to blow shit up.  You could at least play some music in our national language, for Christ's sake.

So being the type of family that we are, we retaliated.  We rolled down the windows of my mom's car, put in a patriotic CD, and cranked up the volume.  And once we had gone through the CD twice and realized we'd forgotten all our other CDs at home, we just had fun with it.  We played some random stuff off of our iPods =]  We heard a little CCR and some Tennessee Ernie Ford from my mom's iPod, and then we broke mine out.  We heard the freaking song from the Main Street Electrical Parade, we had some yodeling, the Lawrence Welk Show theme, some crazy Ultra Lounge music...just some fun stuff.  The people across the street didn't turn off their music right away but they did stand there and stare at us for quite a while.  Then, eventually, they turned off their music and went inside.  Score!

So yeah...then we watched some of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour, because seriously, what's more American than a bunch of rednecks telling mainly bathroom related jokes?  Yeah...it was a good Fourth =]

No comments: